Saturday, October 11, 2008

Addendum on Facebook

This is why I did not want Facebook. Today, a student added me as a friend on Facebook – and of course, this awaits my confirmation. Now what? I do not like to hurt people by rejecting them. But I do not want my students to be involved with me through Facebook or through my blog.

I have been wondering what my response should be and this is what I decided. I am not going to add her but I will talk to her in person and tell her that I will add her after the semester is over. I would like to keep in touch with former students, just not current ones. She will be graduating this year anyway.

Is this the right approach? Any thoughts?

1 comment:

WASPy Girl said...

That sounds like a good idea. I'm "friends" with my old college advisor on Facebook, and I think it's great. He's retiring this year.