Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Giggs Lindskog



Meet Giggs Lindskog – the newest member of our household. He is a Welsh Corgi-Chihuahua mix who we drove to Spartanburg S.C. to get this Memorial Day weekend. He is TINY – 6 pounds and 5 months old. He will grow to a max of 12 pounds. Though he has the Chihuahua size, he has Corgi ears as you can see. He is named after Ryan Giggs, a famous soccer player from Wales. Can you guess who thought of this name?

This is the story of this sudden adoption. On Thursday my sister called me to say that Critter Connection, the rescue she works with, has a Corgi-Chihuahua mix who had just been rescued from the shelter where he lived for 6 weeks. She sent me pictures and he looked so sweet that Gregg and I decided to take him – though we had been looking for a bigger dog. We drove to S.C. on Friday (a 10 hour drive) but 3 hours before we arrived, my sister said that he had hurt his eye (she does not know how), had to go to the vet, and would not be able to leave with us on Sunday. Gregg and I were very disappointed but since we were almost in Spartanburg we decided to make a trip out of it.

Saturday: We visited poor Giggs whose eye seemed very cloudy and swollen. Then we went to PetsMart and bought all the stuff he needed. My sister went with us and bought him toys, a crate, bowls etc.

Sunday: My sister, Kenn, Gregg and I all went to the mountains in Tryon, N.C. and did some leisurely walking next to the waterfalls. We also went to Hendersonville, N.C. Fortuitously, they were having their spring fair and we walked around the grounds, looked at the goods, ate kettlecorn etc. My sister bought a purse and then she bought me a pair of earrings. I introduced her to kettlecorn. Then, that night, Gregg and I went to a baseball game in Greenville, S.C. – it is a single A team called the Greenville Drive which is also an affiliate of the Boston Red Sox.

Monday: Gregg and I drove to Atlanta and watched the Memorial Day Braves game – it was very very hot and Gregg is sunburnt since we did not think of buying suntan lotion. It was a good game and the Braves won. I loved the fly-over they did after the national anthem because of Memorial Day. Monday night, we had dinner at my sister’s house – she made biryani – a traditional Muslim meal which I love. I got the recipe from her because it was an awesome rendition of biryani.

Tuesday morning: Giggs went to the vet and he said that he could come with us but his eye is still very bad. He was given antibiotics and eye drops and there is the possibility that he has an ulcer in that eye or torn his cornea. If it is the latter, he may have to have his eye taken out. Critter Connection said we had the choice to take him or not but if his eye is removed, he may never get adopted. So we took him anyway and will take him to the vet next week. We know we will love him regardless of his eye.

Giggs was very good on the drive home. Cried and screamed a little in his crate, so we took him out and one of us sat in the back seat with him while the other drove. Though he did not throw up or anything, he got more and more cranky during the 12-hour drive. But he perked up when he got home and ate a huge meal. He did not want to be crated but slept soundly for 6 hours or so. He seems very happy today and is learning to climb the stairs in our apartment.

Please pray that Gigg’s eye gets better and that he settles down well with us.

2 comments:

Betty said...

Giggs looks so cute! How old is he now? It's great he was able to sleep through the night. When we first brought Moby home, he was waking us up by the hour to pee. I'm sure Moby will be excited to meet him over the summer!

I hope his eye gets better. I'm so glad you adopted him. I'm sure he'll be very happy with you guys.

WASPy Girl said...

Oh, how sweet! I will add Giggs to my prayer list.