Friday, May 30, 2008

Adjusting to a New Life




Having a new puppy in one’s home is a big adjustment for everyone – including the puppy. Giggs, Gregg and I are all adjusting to his presence in our lives. I think the biggest adjustment is for Gregg. Gregg has never had a pet before. He is learning everything from scratch – how to tell if Giggs needs to go outside, how to train and discipline Giggs, how his routine should work etc. The hardest part is the training because Gregg wants Giggs to like him and is very loathe to scold him for anything.

Giggs, in the meantime, has transitioned quite well. He was terrified of the stairs his first night here but he has mastered them now. Good thing too because it would be very difficult to keep carrying him up and down 2 flights of stairs every time we move from one floor to another!! He is also becoming better at letting us know that he wants to go outside – he has only had an accident once since Tuesday night. He has also learnt to walk on a leash and is getting a little too fond of going outdoors and exploring the area. The funniest thing about Giggs is that he has decided that I am his friend who he can play with and Gregg is the person he wants to sleep next to. Whenever he wants a nap he goes to Gregg; when he wants to play he comes to me.

I must say that this is the most relaxed I have been since I started grad school. Sad to say but it seems that I needed a dog to relax me. On Wednesday, for the first time in months, I did no work at all – no chores, no bills, no reading, nothing. And I did not even feel guilty about it!!! Gregg made dinner (salmon and veggie stir-fry in a balsamic vinaigrette reduction) and Giggs and I sat on the steps outside the kitchen and watched him. Did not even offer to help!!!

I like this transition.

_____________________________________________________

An Update on Giggs’ Health:

I have been writing this entry off and on for two days, so I thought I would add an update on Giggsy’s health. We took Giggs to the vet to check out his eye today. She said that his eye is healing but would scar. The scar will not affect his vision but he may get glaucoma later in life. This is what we should watch out for. For now, she said we should finish his round of medication and that’s it. Since his eye is scarring, it means he does not need another visit for it – at least for now. Otherwise, he got a general checkup and a clean bill of health. We are very very relieved.

No comments: