Friday, June 27, 2008

Multi-Tasking

Since I read this article, I have been more conscious of my multi-tasking abilities. As I have said before, I am a multi-tasker. I cannot watch TV without doing something else – reading, paying bills, etc. On the flip side, I cannot read or even write without watching TV, cooking or playing with Giggs. I simply seem unable to do one thing at a time.

The article argues that multi-tasking reduces productivity. People who think they multi-task actually do not do so. It takes the average worker 25 minutes to return to their work after getting distracted due to email etc. True multi-tasking is learned behavior and needs practice and it often leads to loss of short-term memory.

The question I have been asking myself is: am I a true multi-tasker? A person who truly manages to do multiple things at one time and do them effectively? And more importantly, if multi-tasking can be learnt, what about single-tasking? Is that something that needs to be taught now? Given our daily schedules, we seem to grow up as multi-taskers. The problem is just intensified as we get older. As teachers we know the routine: sit down to work (whether that is to write or read or prep our lectures) and then check email or voice messages. And there is always something to answer to. Life is now made for multi-tasking; it has too many distractions to concentrate. Meetings, classes, grocery stores inter spliced into our work routines. To truly concentrate, you must be in an area where you cannot be reached by phone or email or IM or text message. We have more to cram into our days and we are more accessible to people. Multi-tasking seems to be inevitable.

Having said all that, maybe I should practice doing one thing at a time. Maybe the problem is that I have not tried hard enough. Though the multi-tasking approach has worked for me so far, concentrating single-mindedly on something has so many more advantages: the work is done faster, better and apparently, the details are retained for a longer period of time.

Any thoughts on multi-tasking? Are you a multi-tasker? If so, has it worked for you?

1 comment:

Kathleen said...

I like your interesting insights Nitu. I multitask sometimes but also find it reduces productivity since you can't give your full attention to one thing. I also agree that with constant distractions of email, text messages, internet surfing, etc, the tendency to multitask becomes harder to avoid. It does seem as though if I really focus and concentrate on one thing for a set amount of time, I can be very efficient, and that actually leaves me with more free time to do other things, rather than doing a halfway job on a bunch of things all at once.