Sunday, June 1, 2008

Contentment



I have been thinking of the difference between happiness and contentment. Happiness is reserved for the big moments in life – for me, happiness is always mixed with excitement. Happiness is what you feel when you get engaged or married, get a good job or fellowship or get accepted to a great school.

Contentment, on the other hand, is something you feel at small things. There are a few moments in the day which I look forward to all day. One is my piece of apple pie or lemon cake at night. I always eat some dessert at night about an hour before bedtime. I usually watch some TV or read some fiction while eating dessert. While this may not sound like much, I look forward to it all day. I also look forward to my single cup of coffee in the morning. I drink a large cup of cold coffee while reading fiction or playing on the computer. That slow start to the day is what makes the craziness of any given day tolerable. Last evening, Gregg and Giggs were curled up asleep on the couch together. I was taking notes on Thomas More. I looked over and they looked so comfortable. So, I got under the blanket and curled up with them. It was only a few moments but that is when it occurred to me: I was so relaxed and content. I have a great life!!!

What about you? What moments do you look forward to? Any moments when you feel truly content?

2 comments:

Betty said...

That is so sweet. I think having a dog makes you realize how much happiness (or contentment) can be found in life's simple pleasures. Dogs are so simple and they get so much pleasure from the most routine things. Also, when we adopted Moby, it was then that I felt like we were a family. There was someone that depended on us to take of him, and share our love with.

I was just re-reading the Dalai Lama book and he talks about the difference between happiness and contentment. Happiness is fleeting since it is as you describe - a brief high. People that only seek happiness are destined to be dissatisfied since there are always big chunks of their life that aren't filled with these "highs." Contentment is what he encourages us to strive for. You are very wise, like the Dalai Lama :-)

Kathleen said...

Really nice post Nitu! Giggs is so cute.. Pets are definitely a pleasure; having a cat definitely relaxes me too. Love Gregg's Patriots t-shirt!!