Monday, July 7, 2008

Experience at Wal-Mart

This is a true story of an encounter I had at Wal-Mart yesterday. I think this is only possible at a Wal-Mart and justifies why I hate the shopping experience I get at this store.

I was shopping at Wal-Mart (Gregg was in another part of the store) when an elderly woman (probably in her 50s) walked up to me. Here is the conversation which ensued:

Woman (handing me a card): “Excuse me but I am spreading the word that Jesus is our Lord. I have had many miracles in my Life through the word of our Lord and I want to spread word of these experiences.”

Me: “That’s nice. Thank you.”

Woman: “Where are you from?”

Me: “Virginia.” (I was afraid she would ask for my home address or phone number if I said PA).

Woman: “I mean, where are you from originally? Are you from India or Pakistan or something?”

Me: “I am from India.”

Woman: “Are you Hindu?”

Me (wishing she would go away): “Yes.”

Woman: “I asked because I did not see a nose-ring.”

Me (thinking: does she think Indian women are like tamed bulls – they all need nose-rings!!!): “Well, all Indian women do not wear nose-rings.”

Woman: “Really!! I did not know that. But I really think you should think about Jesus – He is our Lord. And as I have said, I have had many personal experiences in my life which I want to share – and they all come from Jesus Christ.”

Me: “That’s nice.”

That is when she finally walked away. Since she did not talk to anyone else around me (that I saw), my belief is that she stopped and talked to me precisely because she thought I looked Indian and therefore, assumed I was not Christian. She probably thinks all Indians are heathens. Wouldn’t she have been surprised if she ran into one of the millions of Indian Christians? Though after the nose-ring comment, I was not expecting much knowledge about the Indian sub-continent from her.

I do not mind if someone is super-religious and I do not mind discussing religion with others. But who walks up to a total stranger at a Wal-Mart to convert them? That is the type of person who I see as a nut and feel intensely uncomfortable with.

2 comments:

Betty said...

That is so awful. I think a lot of Asian people and probably Hispanic Americans always have that experience of "Where are you from? No, where are you REALLY from?" That woman sounded awful. Yuck!

Unknown said...

And that is why you don't shop at Wal Mart.
Stacie