Monday, July 21, 2008

Stress!!!!!!!!!

I have heard of many ways to deal with stress but I am still trying to find a way that works for me. Recently, my stress level has been sky-rocketing. The reason is that I found out that I got two papers accepted to two conferences – APSA and Northeastern. While this is good news in some ways, it is bad news in others.

It is good news because I use conferences as deadlines for dissertation chapters. Therefore, I will have to write one chapter for APSA (end August) and the second for Northeastern (end November). This will simply leave me with the Introduction and Conclusion of my dissertation to tackle – I hope to have a complete draft by the end of the Christmas break.

However, writing two chapters in the next few months will be daunting – especially because I will be teaching 4 classes this semester with 2 new preps. I have been especially stressed because the discussant wants the paper for APSA 2 weeks before the conference – which will be around Aug. 15th. While this is a reasonable request, I also have a 7-day orientation at Millersville before that (from 9am-5pm) as well as a wedding to attend and 3 separate guests scheduled for 3 separate weekends. So, you can see why I am stressed!!!!

Gregg and I also completed our move out of Farmville two weekends ago. Spending 3 days driving 15 hours, packing, loading, cleaning and unloading simply added to the stress level.

Anyway, so I have been trying to lower my stress level using different tactics – unfortunately, none of them have been working very well. I am still walking around 2 miles a day on the treadmill but that does not seem to help. I am not the one to take long baths (while stewing in the tub, I tend to reflect on all the things I have to do). I have been cooking in an attempt to relieve stress. Also, working on the paper in small increments but it is not going fast enough. Lastly, I still spend time reading fiction (probably should work on the chapter at the time) – this is the only one which actually works.

So, what about you? How are you spending the remnants of your summer? And how do you deal with the stress of the coming year?

3 comments:

Betty said...

I don't want to add to your stress level. We can lounge around or go to the coffee shop so you can do some writing. I have tons of things to read and keep myself occupied.

Kathleen said...

Ack I know, it seems like the fall semester is right around the corner! I guess I try to just get little chunks of projects accomplished at a time and try to manage my expectations. We all never seem to get as much done in the summer as we'd like/plan to, but if I can make some good headway on articles I don't have time to work on during the year, I'm usually OK with that. Keep it up with those stress reduction strategies.. have you tried yoga?! :)

WASPy Girl said...

What on earth are they going to have you do during a 7 day orientation?? I didn't even have an orientation!