Friday, May 8, 2009

End of Semester!!!!!

The semester is over!!!!! Grading is done!!!!! My first year of a tenure-track job is over and now summer is now officially here.

It has been some semester!!! All the work that 4 classes and 120 students bring. On top of that, I had three trouble students. Two of them are seniors and needed to (in the case of one) pass my class to graduate and (in the case of the other) needed a B level grade in the class to graduate. The class has 3 exams (including the final), a paper and a participation grade. Once they took the first exam and realized they could not make it, the problems started. Constant demands for extra credit, for a curve etc. However, it was also clear from in-class discussions that they did not do the reading. Both turned in their papers late and argued relentlessly against taking off points (this is a long story for another time). This went on for weeks. I gave in, gave the class extra credit, a detailed study guide etc. But passing a 300-level PT class is impossible without doing the reading and only studying the power points I put up in class. So, they both failed to get their desired grades (by a lot) and I am still dealing with that problem. I feel bad that they cannot graduate but apparently, my class is not the only barrier to graduation – I learnt yesterday that they did badly in their other courses too (not as badly as in mine though). This is the sort of student situation which I hate, the worst part of being a teacher.

Plus, I have had some pretty draining health problems all semester which thankfully, are mostly resolved for now. But the upshot of all of it, for now, is this: I need to eat less carbs and sugar/sweets. This is a particular blow to me. I love sugar – but I think I love carbs even more. So, about eating “less” carbs: how on earth do you do that? If you had to cut down on pasta, couscous, rice, breads etc., what would you eat? And, on the question of eating less sugar/sweets…this is going to sound crazy but that is the one thing I do not think I have to work on. I do not drink sodas anymore, I put only 3 teaspoons of sugar in my morning coffee and I have a slice of apple pie or cake at night. To me, that does not count as “too much” sugar. How would you cut down on sugar and carbs?

______________________________________

Plans for the summer:

1)Finish dissertation: this means 2 chapters (which are partially done) and writing an introductory chapter (also partially done) and a conclusion. Obviously, this will take up most of my time.
2)Write up 2 new course proposals: Millersville does not offer courses in Ancient and Modern Political Thought. I have to write up these course proposals to have the University approve them (very bureaucratic)
3)Clean out basement: our basement has about 70 boxes (at last count) of books, clothes, misc. items which I need to go through. These are boxes we have not unpacked from our move – a year ago.
4)Start a tenure folder/box: apparently, it is easier to prep for tenure applications if you have a box with EVERYTHING you have done for the past 5 years.
5)Prepare for the Common Seminar: I volunteered to teach one of the University’s freshman “Common Seminars” which means I have to read and make discussion questions on The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time by Mark Haddon. Anyone read it? Is it good?

3 comments:

WASPy Girl said...

Nitu,

I'll call you very soon. I'm now an expert on the no sugar / low carb diet. Congrats on being done. I have a little more grading to do, but nothing absolutely terrible. Yes, you should start a file for promotions. We have to be evaluated twice before tenure and it is helpful.

Betty said...

I am on a dairy and soy free diet with no tomatoes or raw vegetables. We think Torin may be irritated to some of those things so I've cut it out. It means no dessert too since almost everything has butter. I haven't had the time to go explore the vegan products even though that may have soy in it instead.

Can you eat gluten free products? I wonder what the carb level is on that since there is gluten free pasta, breads and tons of other stuff. I'm sure Jill would know more.

Kathleen said...

"I feel bad that they cannot graduate but apparently, my class is not the only barrier to graduation" - of course it isn't... Problem students usually have more than one class that they are struggling in.. It sounds like you have gone above and beyond for them, and they haven't held up their end of the bargain.

GREAT idea to start a tenure file. This will help you a lot a few years from now.

Congratulations on being done!!