Monday, April 7, 2008

The Difference an “I” Can Make


The biggest changes in my life in the past 2 months have both concerned small cards – one is the driving license and the other is the green card. Both have been liberating experiences – one in a rather juvenile way, the other in a more grown-up “thank goodness I can stay and work anywhere I want” kind of way.

Anyway, this story is a gripe about the green card. The interview was a surreal experience in itself – when Gregg and I passed it, I felt as if the U.S. government had put a “This is a viable marriage” stamp on our application. Then I received a letter welcoming me to the United States. On that letter, I noticed that they had my name listed as “Nivedita I. Bagchi.” I called the number listed immediately to inform them that I have no middle name and therefore, the name listed is wrong. The lady gave me another number to call. I called that one only to be told that this was the wrong number and to be given another number. I called the third number but was told to call back the next day.

I called back the next day but the woman said that my green card (with the wrong name) was already in production. Therefore, no changes could be made to it until after I received it. She told that after I received the green card, I should fill out form I-190 (or something like that), and send them the card, a copy of our entire application, a birth certificate and all forms we have ever received from the U.S. government. Then she said, “And we will decide whether it is our fault or not. If it is determined that it is our fault, you do not have to pay the $300 for a name change.” But then things got worse. I asked how long it would take for me to receive a new card and she said (in a very irritated tone), “I don’t know…no more than 6 months to a year.” Which means that I will have to go to Philadelphia to get another stamp in my passport before this is over. Maybe by the time I get the corrected card, it will have expired (it expires in 2 years) and I will have to apply for a new one anyway.

Don’t get me wrong, I could not be more delighted that I got the green card. It confers an amount of freedom that is difficult for U.S. citizens to understand because they never have to think about it. They do not have restrictions on where or how many hours they work or when they can leave the country. Not having to think of this anymore makes me very happy. And I am thankful for being given the privilege. I just hate the bureaucracy and red tape. And I hate having to do all this paperwork again because of one silly errant “I” in my name.

3 comments:

WASPy Girl said...

Congratulations, Nitu Isabelle Bagchi! I'm so glad you started a blog. I will link to it when I figure out how to work with my new template.

Gregg said...

The term "not one iota of difference" stems from the debate that broke up the first council of Nicea and in fact played a major role in the development of the western world. As you have discovered, an "i" can make a BIG difference.

Anonymous said...

Why don't you take back the power from the man and give yourself a middle name? Love the new blog!