Monday, April 14, 2008

Inflation




I read this article on CNN on worldwide inflation today and it triggered a mixed response. I have been reading about and fuming over high food prices for weeks. Yet, this article makes me feel ashamed of my attitude thus far. While the article acknowledges rising food prices in the United States, most of it focuses on countries like Haiti, Bangladesh and Egypt. Due to their already low standards of living and high poverty rates, the impact of rising food prices in these countries dwarves any of the repercussions I have faced. In fact, what exactly have I “faced”? While I try to cut grocery bills, I have not sacrificed anything of import. After all, I still not only eat ample meals but also dessert (apple pie or cake) every night. People in these countries cannot afford staples leading to food riots. They can afford neither bread nor rice (nor cake).

I am not saying that I will not be upset about inflation again in a few days. All I am saying is that this article gave me a little perspective - no matter how bad things are, we are still lucky. A lot of people have it a lot worse.

2 comments:

WASPy Girl said...

I still like to complain about it. Do you have a bread recipe that has staying power? My homemade bread goes bad in about 2 days.

Betty said...

Nitu, do you do a lot of cooking now? The bread looked like it came out well. I finally decided to open up the instruction manual for my pasta maker. I may finally be ready to make my own pasta. I agree with you about food inflation. I read that the average U.S. family still spend one of the lowest percentages of their income on food. It's a scary time for people in other parts of the world. We're lucky that $3 eggs and $5 gallons of milk will not really break the bank.