Sunday, April 6, 2008

Focusing on the Present


Speaking of transition and change, I find myself sympathizing more and more with the seniors in my classes these days. They are looking forward to a big change – graduation!!! For most of them, their grades this semester will be immaterial to their future (assuming they pass their courses of course). They have either been admitted into graduate school or already found jobs. So what is their incentive to work hard now? How do they concentrate when part of their psyche has already moved on to the next phase of their lives?

I am having the same problem with applying myself to the remainder of this semester. I already have a job elsewhere so my evaluations from this semester are not crucial. We are moving in about a month so I cannot even motivate myself to clean the house. My motivation is at an all-time low. The thought of grading 95 papers and 95 exams between April 18th and May 10th is enervating. So, how do I keep going till the end of the semester?

I have found that a couple of things which force me to do my job. First, the thought of walking into a class, facing 25 students and having nothing to say to them is horrifying. That alone forces me to prepare. Second, my desire that they know some basic facts about American Government and Indian history makes me prepare. After all, if I am to challenge them, I have to be prepared. And, ultimately, even if I hate the thought of all the grading I have to do, I want to give them enough information where I can feel joy at some of the great papers and have a legitimate reason to be upset at the mediocre ones.

Having said that, let me say that I am sympathetic to anyone who is unable to concentrate on the present because they are looking forward to the future. Whether you are looking forward to the summer, to a new job or to a vacation, the future can sometimes overshadow the present. Buddha said, “Do not dwell in the past, do not dream of the future, concentrate the mind on the present moment.” Congratulations to anyone who can achieve this – it is much more difficult than it sounds.

No comments: